Baked beef empanadas made with puff pastry, so easy and so delicious.
- 1 package of pre-made pie crust (2 rolls)
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1/2 medium diced bell pepper, any color
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup Mexican blended cheese
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Prepare a cookie sheet with a baking mat, non-stick foil, parchment paper or oil. Set aside.
- In a large skillet cook ground beef, onions and bell pepper until beef is cooked through, onions are translucent and peppers are soft.
- Drain any excess fat.
- Add cumin, garlic, salt, pepper, and chili powder to ground beef mixture and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from hot burner.
- Roll out pie crusts. Using a bowl similar to a cereal bowl, trace circles onto each pie crust. I can get 3 per crust. A smaller bowl will result in more circles.
- With leftover pie crust, mix together and roll out and continue cutting circles, until all dough is used. I can get 8 total.
- Lay a pie crust circle down. on prepared cookie sheet. Add 2 – 3 Tablespoons of filling to the middle of the circle. Top with 1 Tablespoon a cheese.
- Fold pie crust circle in half, keeping the filling inside, and press edges down with a fork.
- Repeat steps 9 and 10 for all empanadas.
- Arrange empanadas on cookie sheet.
- Beat egg in a small bowl and brush on top of each empanada.