Baked mac and cheese- the Caribbean Way – with tons of flavor!
- 8 ounce uncooked Macaroni
- 2 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1-2 tablespoon jalapeños pepper minced seeded
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ cup finely diced onion
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 egg
- 4 ounce mozzarella cheese grated
- 4 ounce sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon salt I used creole salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoons dry mustard optional
- Cook macaroni according to package directions .Be sure to salt water before cooking.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, sauté the garlic, thyme, Jalapeño pepper, smoked paprika for about 1 minute in 2 tablespoons butter.
- Then add onions and continue cooking for about a minute more.
- Proceed by adding the flour; whisk until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until mixture thickens. Remove about ¼ cup of the mixture and slowly whisk with the egg making sure it doesn’t curdle. Dump the tempered egg back into the pan.and mix well to incorporate all ingredients.
- Stir in more than half of the cheese (leave the rest to sprinkle on top) .
- Drain macaroni and add to sauce; stir until coated. Add mustard and white pepper .Adjust seasonings. Transfer to a greased 2-quart baking dish or 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top . Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 -30 minutes or until heated through.