This amazing combination of rice and beans cooked with herbs in a coconut broth is incredibly easy to make and nothing short of delicious.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ peeled small diced sweet onion
- 2 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1 cup small diced ham
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 ½ cups long grain rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 15 ounce can drained and rinsed dark red kidney beans
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium-size sauce pot add in the butter and cook the onions and garlic over medium-low heat until very lightly browned.
- Stir in the ham and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add in the rice, coconut milk, chicken stock, and fresh thyme and mix until combined and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Next, turn the heat down to low and add a lid to the pot and cook for 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Using a fork mix around the rice to break up any big chunks and then gently stir in the beans, salt, and pepper until combined, and serve.