This is a traditional recipe in most Caribbean islands. It’s always made for Christmas and sometimes other holidays and special occasions like Easter, birthdays and more.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 cups dessicated coconut you can also use fresh coconut and reduce milk by 1/4 cup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup tutti frutti aka tutti frutti
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 glace cherries for garnish
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Spray two loaf pans with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl, sift flour and baking powder with salt and spices.
- Add butter, coconut, the cup of sugar, raisins and citron. Mix thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, beat egg with milk and vanilla. Add this to the large bowl and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Divide the batter between the two loaf pans. Decorate the top with the glace cherries.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Mix the tablespoon of sugar with the water. Brush this on the loaves and return to the oven for another 3 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Let cool completely before slicing.